The City of Washington, Indiana

Small City... Big Possibilities


Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-9 of 9
What does the Wastewater Department do?
They are responsible for maintenance and repair and also new construction of sewer lines in the City of Washington.
What does the Wastewater plant do?
They clean the raw wastewater that the City produces before we release it into the river.
Who do I call if I have a problem?
During working hours 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday you can call the Wastewater Department at 254-2792 and after hours you can call the Police Dept at 254-4410.
What does the Wastewater Department do when I have a problem?
We will come out to your location to evaluate the problem and fix it if is our responsibility.
What is the Homeowners responsibility verses the City’s responsibilities?
You as a Homeowner have the sewer lines in your house and the line that goes to the City main line, also know as your house lateral that belong to you. The Wastewater Department is responsible for the City main line from that point forward.
Why do I have a sewer smell in my house and what can I do about it?
A sewer smell is caused by sewer gases coming into your house, probably because of dry “P” traps or cracked or broken sewer lines in the house.
What can I do to help lesson the chances of having a sewer problem?
Avoid putting anything in the drain that is not water-soluble or not intended to be put in the drain.
What do I do if I see someone pouring something into a manhole or catch basin?
Call the police 254-4410 because it is illegal to pour anything into a manhole or catch basin.
Where do I pay my bill?
You can pay your monthly Sewer bill at the following locations; City Hall – (Collections Office) 101 NE 3rd Street Washington 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM (812) 254-2730 Business Office (Drive-Thru Window) 2100 Memorial Ave Washington, IN 8:30 to 4:00 PM (812) 254-5171
Results 1-9 of 9