Washington, Indiana
Back to Homepage
City Government
Economic Development
Visit Washington
Building Commission


Bryan Sergesketter Building Commissioner

Building Commission
2113 Memorial Avenue
Washington, IN 47501

(812) 254-8208

Email: bldgcomm@washingtonin.us


Permits are to be secured before Construction begins.

Owner or contractor may obtain the permit.  Permits are required within the city limits and the two-mile area around the city.  If you are unsure if a permit is needed, contact the Building Commissioner's Office.

Permits needed/costs - permits are needed for the following:

New residences, any additions to structures, detached and attached garages, manufactured homes, in-ground and above ground pools, pole barns, storage sheds, demolitions, re-roofing & roof-line changes, fences, signs and temporary construction sheds or trailers.  The cost for a new residence or any addition is $.10 per square foot; detached structures are $.05 per square foot; manufactured home permits are $50.00; in-ground pools are $50.00.  Above ground pools, re-roofing, signs, fences, demolitions and temporary structures are free.  Commercial building permits must have a state permit first before a local permit is issued.  The cost for a commercial permit is $.05 per square foot for the first 3200 square feet.  Anything over 3200 square feet is $.03 per square foot.

Permit needed for siding, replacement windows, doors and re-modeling?

No permits needed for any of these.

When a variance or conditional use is required?

A variance is a minimum departure from the strict application of the specific requirements and is granted by the Board of Zoning Appeals.  A conditional use permit is to allow a use other than principally permitted use within a district and is granted by the Board of Zoning Appeals.  Applications for variances and conditional uses may be obtained from the Building Commissioner's Office.

Red-tagged electrical service.

Contact Building Commissioner.  He will inspect service and inform owner/electrician what needs to be done.

Pool and fence requirements/permits.

Pools with a depth of 18" or greater must be surrounded by a wall or fence at least five (5) feet high with lockable latches.  Pool and fence permits are required.

Grass, weeds and junk vehicle complaints

Call (812-254-8208) or email complaints bldgcomm@washingtonin.us.

Structural complaints.

Call (812-254-8208) or email complaints bldgcomm@washingtonin.us.

Zoning questions.

Call office for the zoning of a piece of property.