Washington, Indiana
Back to Homepage
City Government
Economic Development
Visit Washington

City of Washington, Indiana

The City of Washington is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities are able to take part in and benefit from the variety of public programs, services, and activities offered by the City. The City of Washington continues to modify its facilities, programs, policies and/or practices as necessary to ensure such access is provided.

In accordance with the requirements of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), and ADA Amendments Act of 2008, the City of Washington (City) does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of accessibility to its services, programs, or activities.

1. Who may file a grievance?
You or your legal representative may file a grievance if you believe that:
The City is not in compliance with the physical access requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act as it relates to City facilities, land or rights-of-way, or
You, or a specific class of individuals, have been denied access to participate in any City program, service, or activity due to your disability, or
You, or a specific class of individuals, have been otherwise subjected to discrimination on the basis of your disability, or
The City has otherwise violated the ADA or its amendments.

2. When should a grievance be filed?
Before filing a grievance, you may seek informal resolution by contacting the appropriate department supervisor. If your informal concern is not resolved in a timely fashion, you may file a formal grievance under this procedure.

You are required to file your grievance as soon as possible within 60 calendar days of the alleged discrimination.
3. What should the grievance include?
The grievance must be in writing on the City's Grievance Form. The Grievance Form is available at City Hall, the Street Department, as well as on the City's website: www.washingtonin.us/community/adaforms.html
4. What if I need assistance filling out my grievance?
If you need assistance completing the Grievance Form, assistance will be provided to you upon request. Please contact the ADA Coordinator for assistance.

5. Where do I file my grievance?

Once the Grievance Form is completed, it can be mailed to or hand delivered to the following address:

Ernie Evans, ADA Coordinator
City of Washington
2200 Memorial Ave.
Washington, IN 47501

6. What happens after I file my grievance?
After receiving your grievance, the ADA Coordinator will investigate the alleged discrimination within 30 calendar days. The investigation may include you and any other person(s) the ADA Coordinator believes to have relevant knowledge concerning your grievance.

The ADA Coordinator may also consider any written evidence submitted.
After completing the investigation, the ADA Coordinator will review the factual information gathered and issue a written response.

7. When will I receive a response

You will receive a written response within 45 calendar days after you file your grievance.

8. What can I do if I'm not satisfied with the initial investigation by the City?

If you are not satisfied with the written response you may submit an appeal within 21 calendar days of your receipt of the response. All appeals must be submitted in writing to the Board of Public Works and Safety at the following address:

Washington Board of Public Works and Safety
c/o Mayor's Office
200 Harned Street
Washington, IN 47501

Within 30 calendar days after receipt of an appeal, the ADA Coordinator will meet with the grievant to discuss a resolution. Within 21 calendar days after that meeting, the ADA Coordinator will respond with a final resolution.

If you are not satisfied with the results of the appeal, you may file a complaint with the appropriate agency or department of the State or Federal Government. Contact the U.S. Dept. of Justice for information about how to file a complaint with these agencies.

Using this grievance procedure is not required prior to pursuing any of your other remedies. However, in the interest of a prompt and amicable resolution of your grievance, the City of Washington encourages you to use this procedure in addition to any other available alternatives you may chose.